I’m always interested in seeing how other folks do “the missional thing” — how they organize, how it’s in their DNA, how they make it part of what they do. Therefore, I was happy to see how The Mission House, in Kansas City, organizes themselves.
They have a primary focus that has three parts:
- We live as a permanent Christian community.
- We seek the ongoing restoration of the surrounding community.
- We train young Christians to live as Jesus lived.
And, on top of that, they have three different ways of helping to accomplish these outcomes:
- An eight week (June & July) QuadW Summer Internship for college-aged students.
- A nine month (Sept. to May) residency.
- A year round “permanent neighborhood transformation” for people who are looking to relocate and help the Mission House re-neighbor the local community.
I like the notion of incorporating internships into their mission. It’s definitely something to think about.