We’ve talked about missional groups in our own setting. And we’ve talked a lot about it here and on my personal blog, http://www.jimdoepken.com. And yet, when talking with laypersons and clergy, there are still misconceptions over what a missional community really is.
1. Missional communities are not overgrown small groups.
2. Missional communities are not gripe sessions.
3. Missional communities are not void of the gospel.
4. Missional communities are not replacements for traditional models of church.
5. Missional communities are not unstructured
I think the first one, about missional communities being different than big small groups is important. There is a very different function with looking outward that is found in missional communities. And, in terms of the last one, I have found missional communities to be highly structured because there is a goal in sight which means it’s not just about sitting and enjoying one another’s company.
You can read the whole post over at Multiply Vineyard.